Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Music of My Youth.

When I was a teenager, growing up north of NYC, there was only one radio station for me: WNEW FM. This is the station on which I first heard music that has stayed with me since. The Who, Dylan, the Grateful Dead, the Allman Brothers -- a few of the popular rock bands and musicians at the time who, in retrospect, actually reached a reasonable level of artistry and originality. I clearly remember the DJ's, in particular: Jonathon Schwartz (who has since famously moved beyond rock&roll), Scott Muni, and Allison Steele. I remember being home for a visit from college, up late working on a problem set (I think in first semester real analysis), and calling the station. I spoke with Allison Steele, aka the Night Bird, asking her to play ``The Rotters Club'' by the obscure British band Hatfield and the North. She was so cool, with her incredible, smoky voice. And she did play the song. (A quick surf tells me that both Muni and Steele have since passed away.)

Anyway, the WNEW FM I knew in the 1970's and early 1980's dissappeared for a while. But it's back now, and I can listen to it on wnew.com.

Also cool is that I can again listen to the rock station of my late teens and early 20's, Boston's WBCN. Radio on.